Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

Six Months In

The six month anniversary of my arrival in Japan past last week. As I believe is customary with blogs of this nature I guess I should share with you some half backed thoughts and reflections about my time here.

But first a quick programming note for the growing number of non-native english speaking friends I see visiting this space. If you're reading along and notice some odd word out of place or some creative spelling, you're natural inclination is probably to assume it's some overly clever Americanism used in precisely the correct way for full effect. However, I feel compelled to tell you that statistically it's much more likely a typo or grammatical error. I'm far to lazy to proof read and edit this thing properly. In fact if you read closely there are probably several in this very paragraph. I apologize in advance for any confusion.

But enough about you, back to me

Here are my thoughts

1) I am incredibly fortunate to have been given this opportunity. The longer that I'm here, the more people that I meet the greater appreciation I have for the opportunity that I've been given. I had always been attracted to the idea of living and working abroad in abstract, but until about this time last year I had never really considered moving to Japan. At the time my knowledge of Japan and Japanese culture didn't extend very far past Karate Kid. I sort of stumbled on this opportunity, I happened to know the right person at the right time. I came here having no idea what I was getting myself into, but despite a few small hiccups I pretty much had things made for me. I was able to come here to a great extent on my own terms, in a way that continued my career, and make enough money to survive in this incredibly expensive city. 

2) Knowing what I know now, I am very glad that I ended up in Tokyo, and can't imagine that another location I would rather have ended up in. Tokyo is an incredibly stimulating, and fun city. And Japan has an incredible amount to offer, from mountains, to culture, and history. I've met quite a few expats who love this city and this country, and are desperately trying to find a way to live here. There aren't that many job opportunities outside of teaching English for foreigners, particularly those who don't speak Japanese. Those opportunities that do exist are usually for experienced professionals. To have the opportunity to come here at my age, in my chosen profession is quite rare. I don't mean to boast, I just want to state how grateful I am that I ended up here. 

3) I owe 95% reasons for my being here to luck and chance, but the 5% I keep for me is the final decision to pull the trigger. I was comfortable back in Boston, actually more then comfortable I really enjoyed my life there. My contract arrived in the mail on 3/10, I had it on my desk while I watched news of the earthquake and tsunami come in. I'm proud of myself for not passing up this opportunity out of fear.

4) I've experienced 4 great transitions in my life. First, entering public middle school/parents divorce, going to college, graduating from university moving back to Boston, and moving to Japan. Of those really only the move to Japan was totally and unequivocally my choice. I would be lying if I said there wasn't some degree of guilt associated with that choice. From the mundane, missing playing tennis often, and eating burritos. To those more poignent, not being around to see my young nephew grow up, and knowing many friendships with good people back in Boston will probably never reach their full potential. On balance I'm glad that I've come, but an honest accounting is necessary.

5) Japan is a fascinating and intellectually stimulating country for a westerner to live in. The longer that I'm here, the more that I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I know you were probably expecting from a post titled "Six Months In" a whole but of wisdom learned about Japan and Japanese culture, but I think I've lived here just long enough to begin to question my first impressions, and it's hard for me to think of any generalizations I would want to share without an accompanying post of qualifications or at least a whole lot of math ;)

6) Post on the language is coming soon.

7) Work life balance is hard here. Kind of like walking a tightrope in a hurricane. And my hours aren't even that bad by typical Japanese standards.

Allright enough for now.

For all those back home, and my new friends here Happy Holidays, 

No comments:

Post a Comment