Total Pageviews

Monday, December 19, 2011

Matt Cooks Tempura

I decided to try cooking tempura for the first time. Overall I think it was a good experience, but I definitely I have a few things I need to figure out. I also tried out the portraiture lens on my camera. If anyone out there has advice about either of these endeavors don't be shy.
 I was gonna be making mini-pepper and Japanese eggplant tempura. 
The recipe I was using called for marinating the ingredients in rice wine.
 Next up making the batter. First was mixing an egg in cold water.
 Next up mixing the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, and a touch of white sugar. 
 Mix it all together. Here is the first part I wasn't sure I got right, the consistency of the batter. Part of the issue is I don't have any measuring cups, or spoons, or really any kitchen measuring devices of any kind. So I was winging it a bit, which is usually fine when I know what I'm looking for. In this case I had no idea what the batter should be like.
 Heating up the oil. Recipe calls for a wok or deep frier, I have neither.
 The recipe says to coat the veggies one at a time
 And cook them in the oil
 I am far to lazy to do this one at a time
 All it takes is a couple minutes to cook.
crispy fried deliciousness
 I believe this is called 天丼(tendon) or tempura on a bed of rice.
You could really taste the rice wine. The batter wasn't quite the really delicate flaky stuff I've gotten at restaurants, and the taste was a bit oily, but other then that it was pretty good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment