Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 29, 2011

It ain't Christmas without eggnog

I decided to stay in Tokyo for the Holiday's this year in order to save up some vacation time, having used a bunch for my Sister's wedding last August, and in anticipation of Several more weddings I hope to attend in the coming year. Christmas isn't a traditional holiday in Japan. It is celebrated to a degree, but more in the manner of a kind of made up holidays like Halloween or Valentines days.

My friends Mika and Nick had a Christmas party on Christmas eve. This would actually be my second party I had been to at their place. The party was a blast, and we had some really great food.

I wanted to bring something traditionally Christmasy to the party, and I thought eggnog would be perfect.

Except, apparently you cannot buy eggnog anywhere in Japan.

I tried about 7 different, expat focused supermarkets and no luck.

Fortunately, it turns out eggnog is fairly easy to make.

But first I needed a measuring cup, for some reason the only one I could find at the local 100円 shop resembled an oversized urin sample cup...

Step 1. Scald 2 cups milk, with a little vanilla and cloves


Step 2. Whisk together 12 egg yokes with 1 cup of sugar 


Step 3. Add scalded milk to egg yokes and then cook in a saucepan over medium heat for three minutes. Don't let it boil! Really this is the only place where you can really screw up. If the mixture boils your egg yokes turn into scrambled egg yokes and your eggnog becomes a lumpy mess.


Step 4. Add two cups of cream, two cups of cups of booze, as well as nutmeg and cinnamon.

Most recipes call for rum in the eggnog. Personally I think Rum is for some straw hat, flowered shirt wearing floozies on a beach somewhere.

iIn the winter, real men (and women) drink single malt scotch. 


In all seriousness, the scotch does add a cool smokey flavor to the drink. Using a blended malt won't have a sharp enough flavor to cut through the rest of the stuff in the drink. Rum is the choice for those who don't want to be reminded they are drinking something alcoholic. 

As I said the food was delicious .

Personally my favorite dish was the quiche. 


Desert strawberry cake and Eggnog fuck yea!



Our Santa and her little helper


We each brought a gift to do a secret santa style exchange


My loot


Cheddar pretzels and fabric softener. Oh Japanese Santa you are so wise...

1 comment:

  1. bhahhahaha love the oversized urine cup you used. Happy New Year Cuz! :)

    ReplyDelete